wow

wow

Sunday 13 August 2017


The Field Marshall Sam Manekshaw Memorial Trophy

Class 3 / Horses Rated 40 to 66 (1600M).


This is a more interesting race, from study point of view, than the Eves Champions Trophy of the 8 races scheduled for today, 13.08.2017. I am going to express my thought process below as I read the race card of this race. I may not be correct at the conclusion but I imagine that it should provide the readers some insight.

IN MY DREAM: Rated at 61,this filly could not win her First career start, for that matter was bridesmaid in first 3 career starts, and finished 3rd in her 4th start before shedding maiden status against class 3 opposition in her 5th start. She had been beaten in her career by more illustrious peers, such as Germanicus, Bold March, Accolade & Temerity. You will agree In My Dream could not have beaten them as a maiden. After her maiden win win she was pitched in Fillies Trials where she finished 5th to Mrs Patmore. It seems she has suffered a minor set back and as was not seen racing thereafter. I am assuming she has been nursed back to sufficient fitness as evidenced by her close 3rd in a mock race. She is certainly a contender even though she is same class winner (SCW).

NELSON BLOOD: is a last start winner of this class. This gelding justified my faith by winning his first start in Pune in class 3. He was not a first start winner and cleared his maiden status in his 4th start in Lower class (Class 4).Mile is his forte and as such won pillar to post very nicely indeed. Normally an SCW is a discard in my method of handicapping. But if you see NB had won at a rating of 46 and is penalized just 10 points for that victory which makes him ineligible to compete in class 2 at 56 rating. He is a contender even though he is running within 2 weeks of his previous start.
VOLANTIS: This filly has cleared her maiden status in only her 7th start and in the assessment of the trainer is a runner with potential to win long distance races. She is a same class winner and has had a good preparation with a mock race & regular morning work outs. She is competing here because she is rated in this class like Nelsons Blood. My take is she would use this race as a preparatory gallop for some other longer distance race in future. Though cannot rule out entirely.

GLORIOUS EYES: This filly is a disappointment for me since I expected her to do well after she won her career first start and competed in a grade 3 race in her first season. She struggled to get her next victory in class 4, and was on board in her last 3 start in this class. I consider that she needs a much inferior company to register he next win. Not here.

TIMELESS: is the lone 3YO contender in this class 3 set. Registered his victory in his first start as a rank outsider (11/1odds), and ran on second & 3rd in his two subsequent starts to the well performed 3YOs, Tutankhamun & Ruffina. As a result was installed an favourite in his last start in which he performed well below par in that he came 7th out of 7 horses. He is being prepared meticulously in morning work and looks like a contender here. But it has been experience that whenever there is single 3YO in class 3 it loses more often than not.

JAGER BOMB: I don’t think I need to discuss much about this long in tooth gelding who is here either to make up the card or to aid somehow his stable mate. Discarded.

In the final analysis I am nominating IN MY DREAM as my pick since I feel she is far more classy than the other runners in this field.


Best of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment